One of our all time favorites. Tender noodles and chicken smothered in creamy, cheesy sauce with crispy panko breadcrumbs on top. It makes any day feel like a special occasion. Can also be made with leftover Turkey.
Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cooking level: Beginner
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 oz spaghetti, broken in half (half of a box)
10 oz mushrooms, sliced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups baby spinach
1/4 cup dry sherry wine
1 cup chicken stock (low sodium)
4 cups milk, room temperature
1 cup light cream or half and half, room temperature
6 TBS butter, divided
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried thyme, divided
2 TSP Dijon mustard
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425° and grease a large casserole dish
2. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and add 1 tsp olive oil. Sear chicken breasts for 2 minutes per side, and put pan into the oven until they reach 165°, about 15 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and set aside on a plate to cool.
3. While chicken is cooking, boil pasta according to package instructions. Careful not to overcook. Drain well and set aside in a large bowl.
4. Once chicken is cool enough to handle, shred into bite sized pieces and add to bowl with pasta.
5. Heat same pan used to cook chicken over medium heat and add 2 TBS butter. Saute mushrooms until they've released their moisture and are starting to turn golden brown, about 10 minutes.
6. Add onions and cook for another 8 minutes.
7. Add garlic and 1 tsp thyme and cook for 2 minutes.
8. Add Sherry and reduce for 5 minutes.
9. Add mushroom mixture to bowl with pasta and chicken.
10. Wipe pan clean and add 4 TBS butter over medium low heat. When butter is melted, whisk in 4 TBS flour and cook for 2-3 minutes. Slowly whisk in chicken stock, milk, cream, remaining 1 tsp thyme, dijon mustard, onion powder, and garlic powder. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes until thickened. Add spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
11. Pour sauce over chicken, pasta, and mushroom mixture. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and stir well to combine.
12. Pour into casserole dish, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan, followed by panko breadcrumbs. Drizzle the top with olive oil.
13. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown and sides are bubbly. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.