This recipe is a regular weeknight superhero in our house. You can literally use whatever leftover veggies, protein, and pasta you have in your fridge. Great way to clean things out before grocery shopping for the week and comes together in no time. The magic is in the golden brown crispy pasta edges. Can be served on its own, or with prepared Marinara or Alfredo sauce.
Time: 20-30 minutes
Cooking level: Beginner
2 cups leftover short pasta (rotini, penne, farfalle, ziti)
2 cups leftover veggies (broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, green beans)
2 cups leftover cooked protein (chicken, steak, pork)
1 TBS Olive Oil
2 TBS Butter
1. If not using leftover cooked pasta, cook pasta according to package directions, drain well, and pat dry. Set aside.
2. If not using leftover veggies, steam/sauté/grill until done. Set aside.
3. Slice/shred cooked protein and set aside.
4. Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat.
5. When the pan is nice and hot, add olive oil and butter.
6. Add pasta to hot pan and toss to coat evenly with butter and olive oil.
7. Let pasta cook UNDISTURBED for 5-7 minutes. It’s hard, I know, but this is essential to achieving those crispy brown edges.
8. When pasta is golden brown on one side, toss and continue cooking for about 5-10 minutes until all edges are golden brown.
9. Add veggies and protein and toss to combine.
10. Continue cooking for about 3-5 minutes to warm everything through.
11. Serve with your favorite sauce.