This dish is a family tradition. It's on our breakfast table every holiday morning. The best part is, you prep it the night before and pop it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, all you have to do is turn the oven on, bake, and breakfast is served. You can also change up the ingredients with different types of breakfast meat (bacon or ham), add veggies, fun cheeses, etc. The possibilities are endless, and the outcome is always delicious.
Time: 1 hour 15 minutes (including baking)
Cooking level: Beginner
8 slices Potato Bread
2 1/2 cups Milk
1 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
8 Eggs, well beaten
1 lb mild Italian Sausage
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Dry Mustard
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a 9x13 glass casserole dish.
2. Slice bread into cubes and set aside.
3. Remove sausage from casings and cook in a saute pan over medium heat, breaking up large pieces with a wooden spoon until fully cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towels, and set aside to cool.
4. Whisk together milk, eggs, salt, pepper, and dry mustard.
5. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese (save remaining for topping), cooled sausage, and bread cubes. Pour entire mixture into prepared baking dish, sprinkle with remaining cheese, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
6. Bake at 350° for about 45-55 minutes, until top is mostly set and golden brown.
7. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.