Everything you love about Lasagna in a bowl. Tender noodles, ground beef, sausage, ricotta cheese. Gang’s all here. Serve with crusty bread for dipping. A one pot wonder where the leftovers are even better than the first time.
Time: 45 minutes
Cooking level: Beginner
1 lb lean Ground Beef
½ lb Mild or Hot Italian Sausage (about 2 links)
1 Onion, chopped
3 cloves Garlic, minced
2 TBS Tomato Paste
6-8 Lasagna Noodles
2 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp dried Oregano
1 15-ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
4 cups Chicken Stock (low sodium) - can also use beef stock
2 cups water
½ cup fresh Basil, chopped or cut into chiffonade
¼ cup fresh Parsley, chopped
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated (plus more for serving)
¼ cup Heavy Cream or Half and Half
Ricotta cheese for topping
4 cups baby Spinach (optional)
Red Pepper Flakes
1. In a Dutch oven or large heavy-bottomed pot, heat large drizzle of EVOO over medium heat. Remove sausage from casings and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon into small pieces, until done. Set aside on paper towels to drain but leave drippings in the pot.
2. In same pot, cook ground beef until no pink remains, drain and set aside. Leave about 1 TBS of drippings in pot.
3. To the soup pot with sausage drippings, add onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
4. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, 2 cups water, Italian seasoning, oregano, sausage and ground beef. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
6. Break lasagna noodles into small pieces and add to soup. Simmer for 20 minutes until tender. Season to taste with S&P and red pepper flakes.
7. Remove from heat and stir in baby spinach (if using), parsley, Parmesan cheese, and heavy cream. Serve into bowls and top with fresh basil, more Parmesan, and a dollop of ricotta cheese. Mangia!