Everything you love about French Onion Soup, but in winner chicken dinner form. Crispy, gooey, molten bits of cheese draped over tender chicken breasts with the most savory, buttery sauce you could imagine. And all made in one pan and on the table in 45 minutes or less.
Time: 30 minutes
Cooking level: Beginner
4 chicken breasts
2 cups beef stock
2 tsp dried thyme
2 onions, thinly sliced
2-3 cloves garlic
2 TBS flour
4 slices Swiss cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
2 TBS butter, divided
10 oz baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
Fresh parsley, chopped (for serving)
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Season chicken with S&P, onion powder and garlic powder.
3. Heat a large pan over medium low heat. Sauté onions in 1 TBS butter, EVOO and a generous pinch of salt until caramelized, about 10-15 minutes.
4. Add garlic and dried thyme during last few minutes of onions cooking. Remove onions and garlic to a plate and set aside.
5. Return pan to medium high heat. Add a swirl of EVOO and sear chicken until golden but not cooked through, about 5 minutes per side
6. Remove chicken to plate with onions and garlic and set aside.
7. Return pan to medium high heat. Add 1 TBS butter and a swirl of EVOO and sauté mushrooms until golden brown and tender.
8. Add caramelized onions and garlic back to pan and sprinkle in 2 TBS flour.
9. Whisk in beef stock until well combined. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Season to taste with S&P.
10. Return chicken to pan, top first with Swiss, then with shredded mozzarella, and bake for 10-15 mins until chicken reaches 165°. Top with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy!