Are they as good as fried fries? Maybe not. But they're as crispy, sweet, tender, and delicious as you'll find for a healthy guilt-free version. This is a basic recipe with just salt and pepper for seasoning, but feel free to explore spice world on this one. Go sweet with brown sugar and cinnamon, or savory with chili powder and garlic. Take a Mexican spin with taco seasoning. The sweet potatoes are here for it.
Time: 40 minutes
Cooking level: Easy
4 medium sweet potatoes or yams, scrubbed clean, unpeeled
2 TBS Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 400°
2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and position oven racks on upper and lower thirds of oven.
3. Cut sweet potatoes into 1/2" fries. To do this, cut a thin strip off of the long side of the potato to create a flat edge. Then, with the flat edge down, slice potatoes lengthwise into 1/2" slices. Turn slices and cut again lengthwise to make fries.
4. Add potatoes to a large bowl with olive oil and S&P. Toss to coat evenly, making sure fries are evenly coated.
5. Spread fries into even layer on baking sheets, being careful not to crowd them together.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes, turning every 10-15 minutes or so.
7. Remove from oven, sprinkle with more S&P, and let stand on baking sheet for 5 minutes prior to serving for extra crispiness.