This recipe is a mic dropper. It’s the first recipe that my husband Eric and I ever created together, and even though there are a few extra steps involved, it’s a guaranteed show stopper. Impress your friends, family, significant other… hell impress the pants off of yourself with this one. Absolutely worth the effort in every single way.
*If you don’t have the ingredients (or time) to make homemade pesto or Bruschetta mix, you can substitute store bought for both.
Time: 30-45 minutes
For this recipe, the ingredient list is long (don’t be afraid!) but each component of the Bruschetta is broken down again individually. I recommend preparing the pesto, Bruchetta tomato mixture, and balsamic reduction ahead of time and setting aside. Next, slice and lightly toast the baguette rounds. Lastly, cook shrimp, and follow assembly instructions.
2 Baguettes, sliced on a bias into 1/2 inch slices
1 lb Shrimp (raw, large, peeled and de-veined)
16 oz. Mozzarella Cheese (shredded or fresh cut into thin slices)
Fresh lemon juice
2 cup Fresh Basil Leaves, packed (plus more to garnish Bruschetta)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese
1/4 cup Pine Nuts
2-3 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Tomatoes (Roma or Off the Vine), chopped
¼ cup Yellow Onion, minced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
3 TBS Olive Oil
1 TBS Balsamic Vinegar
1 TBS fresh Basil, cut into chiffonade (plus more for garnish)
Red pepper flakes
½ cup Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp Brown Sugar
1 tsp water
Add all pesto ingredients to a food processor and pulse until well combined. Season to taste with S&P.
Bruschetta Tomato Mixture:
1. Heat 3 TBS olive oil in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Add minced garlic and cook for one minute. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool.
2. Meanwhile, combine all other ingredients and mix well with a spoon. Stir in garlic and oil, season with S&P, and set aside.
In a small saucepan, bring Balsamic Vinegar, Water, and Brown Sugar to a simmer. Reduce over medium-low heat until thickened, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
1. Pat shrimp dry and season with S&P.
2. Heat saute pan over medium and add Shrimp, cooking until they just begin to turn opaque, about 3 minutes per side.
3. Remove from pan immediately and let cool on a chilled plate. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top and chop into bite sized pieces.
1. Preheat oven to 450° and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Drizzle Baguette Slices with olive oil and toast in hot oven until light golden brown, 2 minutes per side.
3. Remove from oven and top each bread slice with mozzarella, followed by Bruschetta mixture and shrimp.
4. Return to oven and bake until cheese just begins to melt, 4-5 minutes. Keep an eye on bread to make sure it doesn't burn.
5. Remove from oven and finish each piece of bread with a dollop of pesto, drizzle with Balsamic Reduction, garnish with reserved basil leaves. Celebrate your greatness and dig into this masterpiece!