Just the right amount of sweet, heat, and smoky goodness. So much flavor with just a few ingredients. Great with crackers, veggies, or crusty bread.
I found this recipe at Bon Appetit and made a few changes...
Cooking level: Beginner
Time: 1 hour
2 lbs Carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup whole Almonds
2 TBS plus 1/2 cup Olive Oil
3/4 cup canned Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 tsp Salt
2-3 cloves Garlic
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper (add more if you like it spicier)
3/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
1/2 tsp Cumin
4 TBS fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 cup Parsley, coarsely chopped, plus more for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Toast almonds for 8-10 minutes until slightly darkened and fragrant. Be careful not to let them burn. Let cool and set aside.
3. To the same baking sheet, add carrots and toss with 2 TBS olive oil and 1 tsp salt. Spread carrots out evenly and roast until very tender, stirring occasionally, for a total of one hour.
4. During the last 10 minutes of cooking time, smash garlic cloves and add to baking sheet with carrots, tossing to make sure they're coated with olive oil.
5. Transfer carrots and garlic to a food processor. Add chickpeas, lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, cayenne pepper, cumin, almonds, and another heavy pinch of salt. Process until mixture is smooth, adding more olive oil if necessary. Add S&P to taste.
6. Transfer hummus to a boil, drizzle with more olive oil, and garnish with parsley leaves and lemon wedges. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.